Kobold, English Lager.

Inspired by the sea it helps to protect.

The coast is part of who we are at Adnams. Our brewery and distillery are located in the seaside town of Southwold on the Suffolk coast, looking out onto the North Sea. We’re passionate about the environment as a responsible, sustainable business. For many years, we’ve helped support various marine conservation charities as part of our commitment to only leave our footprints in the sand, not on the planet.

We wanted to achieve two very important aims when developing Kobold. To incorporate the skill and craftsmanship of our brewers to make a great Adnams beer, and to create a product that would embody our core values of sustainability and take action to help our planet. This lager is inspired by the sea we want to protect. So, through Kobold, we’re partnering with Blue Marine Foundation – a charity dedicated to restoring the ocean to health. Their mission is to see at least 30% of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70% managed in a responsible way and we want to support them on this journey.

Blue Marine Foundation’s projects span the globe and we hope to work with them primarily on UK-based projects and their vision for a marine park network off our island’s 30,000 kilometres of coastline – including our home on the East Coast. The British Isles showcase some of the most diverse marine habitats in the Northern Hemisphere. This stunning biodiversity is not just ecologically important but sustains the livelihoods of local fishing communities and provides vital buffers against climate change.

UK seas have experienced devastating change over the last century. We have seen huge declines in many once prolific and productive species, such as giant skate, angel sharks, sturgeon, bluefin tuna, porbeagle sharks and native oyster beds.

BLUE has developed five key strategic interventions to address these problems and transform the future of UK seas:

1. Secure better protection for marine protected areas

2. Develop models of sustainable fishing

3. Protect and restore habitats

4. Tackle unsustainable activities

5. Connect the British public to the sea

Since 2018 BLUE has played a key role in the Plymouth Marine Park project, helping to shape the declaration, the identity of the park and the engagement of the local population with the concept through the “Sea in the park” initiative delivered with the Marine Biological Association.

For more information on the UK marine parks project and BLUE’s involvement in the Plymouth Marine Park Project watch the video below:

UK Marine Parks from Blue Marine Foundation on Vimeo.

BLUE is embarking on an ambitious campaign for national marine parks around the UK coast and better protection of our marine protected areas, with prospective sites in waters around East Anglia. We are delighted to support them every step of the way through donations from the sales of Kobold lager.

For more info on Blue Marine Foundation and the work they carry out across the globe please visit their website bluemarinefoundation.com or click here for their annual report