Further to the previous update on 2nd April, we can confirm that the fire at The Ship, Levington, last month was deemed to be accidental and that the most probable cause was a burning ember released from the chimney setting fire to the thatch. No issues were found with the maintenance of the stoves and chimney or in the methodology of our staff with regard the lighting and maintaining of the fires.
We have completed the initial clear-up of the fire damage and are now working closely with the insurers, loss adjusters, conservation officers, structural engineers and our building contractors to start works as soon as possible with the rebuild. Due to the listed nature of the building the thatch will be replaced and we will work closely with the thatchers and building contractors to ensure the latest fire protection techniques are incorporated into the works.
Adnams has helped The Ship’s staff with employment at Adnams other Managed Properties or we have made introductions to more local employers as appropriate.
We will continue to issue updates and look forward to The Ship's reopening by the end of the year.